Monday, July 20, 2009

To read or not to read?

I like to read many different magazines as well as books. I love interior design and the different ways people decorate the rooms they live in. I also love fashion and the look of clothes. So when I have the chance I like to spend a couple of hours looking through many different magazines in the big chain book stores. But I only subscribe to two magazines : Elle and Vogue. I like these magazines because they both have interesting articles almost every month in addition to several fashion spreads. This year so far there were articles on Michelle Obama, Monica Seles, the new US Senator Kirsten Gillibrand, Francis Bacon, Nell Newman, who is carrying on her father's legacy, Leonard Bernstein and the new director of the Metropolitan Museum of Art, Tom Campbell. Elle also discusses several different books every month and movies and has an "Living" section I love in which they profile a designer or a chef and show you a different side of their life.
But when the new issue of Elle showed up this month with Miley Cyrus on the cover I started wondering if I really enjoy this magazine as much as I thought I did. And this isn't the first time one of these magazines had a cover I didn't appreciate. I don't always like the actress or model on the cover but that's ok, I don't expect to like them all. It's just that usually the cover woman is a woman, a person of of voting age who has some experience in the adult world. I guess that's what has got my goat the most, she's only 16 years old. Sure she sings and I guess she also acts but there are several other girls who do that and they show up on the cover of Seventeen or Glamour. It just seems a little ridiculous to me. But I suppose the biggest concern of the people behind the magazine is staying in business. I am glad I wrote out what I like about the magazines because I can see there's a lot I do like but still.....So I have to decide by the time my subscription runs out in a few months if I like the rest of the magazine enough to ignore the parts I don't like or should I just stick to books and home decor magazines?! lol Maybe I'm getting too crabby in my old age!!
If you have an opinion, let me know!

Amy

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for your visit and comment, Amy! Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete